Chandler is a suburb of the Phoenix metropolitan area, also known as the Valley of the Sun. In keeping with this name, the weather in Chandler is remarkably sunny, with an average of 330 sunny days per year. For this reason, some 15 Major League baseball teams do their spring training in this warm climate. The city is also notable for its embrace of tech; it’s home to manufacturing plants serving companies like Microchip, Motorola and Intel, as well as innovations like a public Solar Walk, city-sponsored entrepreneur incubation development program, and annual science festival. For these reasons, the city calls itself the Innovation and Technology Hub of the Southwest.
With its high population growth, strong tech presence, and strong infrastructure, Chandler has many cutting-edge medical centers, great health professionals, and popular medical practices. This, along with the high rates of activity among Chandler residents, has helped to make this city remarkably healthy, with an average life expectancy of over 80 years. The following guide to health professionals in Chandler covers some of the largest medical facilities and most prominent physicians in the the city.
Some of the most notable healthcare facts about Chandler, Arizona:
- 91.9% of Chandler residents have in medical insurance. About 62.5% are on employer-provided health plans, 9.39% on Medicare, 7.19% on Medicaid, 19% on non-group plans, and 1% on VA or military plans.
- There is one primary care physician for every 1,519 patients in the state of Arizona
- The average healthcare spending per person in Chandler was $6,452 as of 2014, which included the charges picked up by health insurance plans.
- Although the overall cost of living in this city is 5% higher than the national average, the cost of healthcare in Chandler is actually about 2% lower than the national average.
Our overview of Health Care Professionals in Chandler introduces the most popular medical settings and doctors in this city, so you can understand your options for medical services and providers.
Skip to any of the following topics:
- Hospitals in Chandler
- Pediatricians in Chandler
- Family Practice Doctors in Chandler
- Internal Medicine Doctors in Chandler
- Specialist Doctors in Chandler
- The Most Popular Doctors in Chandler
- Telemedicine in Chandler
Hospitals in Chandler
Chandler is home to three major medical centers:
- Chandler Regional Medical Center
- Arizona Specialty Hospital
- Oasis Behavioral Health Hospital
Chandler Regional Medical Center is the city’s largest hospital by far, with 338 licensed beds. It is a full-service, acute care, nonprofit hospital which dates back to 1961 and now serves the East Valley Phoenix metropolitan area. Chandler Regional Medical Center is a part of the Dignity Health system, which is among the biggest healthcare systems in the west. Chandler Regional Medical Center provides:
- cardiovascular treatment
- emergency care through their level I trauma center
- a family birth center
- a sleep center
Arizona Specialty Hospital is, like Chandler Regional Medical Center, part of the Dignity Health system. This short term cut care hospital has 24 beds and provides:
- general medical services
- bariatric services
- orthopedic services
Arizona Specialty Hospital has 6 operating rooms, and specializes in surgery related to Bariatrics, Orthopedics, Pain, Podiatry, and the Spine. This hospital has garnered a 95% patient satisfaction rating based on post-service patient surveys. Many patients discharged from Arizona Specialty Hospital receive rehabilitative care at Dignity Health East Valley Rehabilitation Hospital, an affiliated medical center. Dignity Health East Valley Rehabilitation Hospital has 50 beds, and provides rehabilitative services like respiratory therapy and occupational therapy, with an emphasis on technology to track data and improve outcomes.
Oasis Behavioral Health Hospital provides both inpatient and outpatient psychiatric services, and has a total of 146 licensed beds. Oasis Behavioral Health Hospital serves both adolescents and adults, and is particularly strong in addiction treatment. Unlike most behavioral health hospitals, Oasis Behavioral Health Hospital offers recreation services such as art therapy and yoga.
Pediatricians in Chandler
Pediatricians are doctors who provide primary care to children, from newborns to adolescents. They are trained to treat routine illnesses and injuries as they appear within this age group, and to monitor age-related developmental milestones, such as teething, speech development, and puberty. They can screen for commonly occurring childhood issues like scoliosis, ADHD, and lice, and can make referrals to pediatric specialists, such as pediatric cardiologists and pediatric neurologists, if needed.
There are a total of 323 pediatricians practicing in Chandler, including general pediatricians and pediatric specialists. Many pediatricians practice in the pediatric wing of hospitals such as hospitals such as Chandler Regional; Medical Center, while others work in a private or group practice. Some of the most popular pediatric group practices in Chandler are:
- Chandler Pediatrics, whose pediatric doctors have over 30 years of medical experience. Chandler Pediatrics provides sick and well visits for children, behavioral screenings, pediatric weight management, and even circumcision and ear piercing.
- Pendleton Pediatrics, which has earned an impressive 4-star rating on Google based on 80 reviews. The medical team consists of one pediatric doctor and three certified nurse practitioners, as well as 12 support staff. Patients appreciate that visits are fast (with a total of 12 examination rooms) and hygienic (with separate entrances for children who are sick versus well). There’s a private and quiet lactation room for nursing parents as well.
- Agave Pediatrics Chandler, which has partner practices in Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Glendale. The pediatric office’s welcoming underwater decor and lighting helps children feel calm, and parents can easily book appointments and manage their child’s medical information through a convenient online patient portal. Along with general pediatric care, Agave Pediatrics Chandler offers speech therapy, lactation support, sports physicals, tongue tie release, circumcision, and allergy treatment.
Family Practice Doctors in Chandler, Arizona
Family practice doctors treat patients of all ages, from babies to the elderly. Nowadays, the majority of primary care physicians are doctors of family medicine. As primary care physicians, they diagnose and treat routine illnesses and injuries, deliver immunizations, and perform annual well-visits, and provide medical consultation and education. They also may make referrals to specialists as needed.
There are 461 family medicine doctors based in Chandler, Arizona. Like pediatricians, doctors of family medicine may work in the family medicine division of a hospital, hold down a private practice, or participate in a group practice. In a group practice, doctors rotate between patients based on availability for ill visits, but patients see their own family physician for checkups. Some of the most popular family medicine group practices in Chandler are:
- Warner Family Practice, which has a four-star average Google review 268 patient reports. This group family medicine practice has a large staff, which includes one family medicine doctor, two osteopaths, six physician’s assistants, four family nurse practitioners, and two naturopaths. Along with routine care and preventative medicine, Warner Family Practice provides testing such as retinal screening and Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing. They also sell personalized supplements and operate the Live Well Wellness Center, an integrative medical practice.
- East Valley Family Physicians, which is another very large and popular family medicine group practice. East Valley Family Physicians has seven doctors of family medicine on staff, an osteopath, and two physician’s assistants. They provide a wide range of services that go beyond the usual standard of routine care, such as Smoking Cessation, Sutures, Hormone Replacement Therapy, Mole Biopsies, and screenings for ADD/ADHD, Depression, and Anxiety.
- Hatfield Medical Group- Chandler, which is one of six locations operated by Hatfield Medical. There are five doctors of family medicine on staff and one osteopath, as well as seven physician assistants, four nurse practitioners. Across all facilities, Hatfield Medical Group emphasizes compassionate and accessible care.
Internal Medicine Doctors in Chandler, Arizona
Internists, or doctors of internal medicine, are another type of primary care physician. Like family medicine doctors, they diagnose and treat routine illnesses and injuries, provide medical consultation and education, deliver vaccinations, and perform annual checkups. But doctors of internal medicine treat only adults, and have a special focus on managing adult medical conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, and arthritis.
There are 717 doctors of internal medicine based in Chandler. Many of these have other specialties as well, such as endocrinology, pulmonary disease, and radiology. A few of the most popular and highly ranked doctors of internal medicine based in Chandler include:
- Arrow Medical Internal Medicine and Primary Care, which has earned a 4.1 star average Google patient rating. Arrow Medical Internal Medicine provides primary care as well as Spirometry, EKGs, and advanced wound care. The staff speaks English, Spanish, and Yoruba.
- Ocotillo Internal Medicine Associates, which has a staff of five doctors and six physician’s assistants. Ocotillo Internal Medicine Associates offers sick and well visits for adults as well as women’s health visits (including pap smears), management of Coumadin (a blood thinner which requires close monitoring) and Federal Aviation Administration checkups required for flights.
- AZ Internal Medicine, which is staffed by two internists with over 15 years of experience serving the Chandler community. Like Ocotillo Internal Medicine Associates, its internal medicine group practice offers a Coumadin clinic, EKGs, Spirometry, as well as prostate screening and women’s health. AZ Internal Medicine emphasizes the patient’s role as leader in their healthcare choices, and provides medical counseling and education around wellness and risk factors.
Specialist Doctors in Chandler, Arizona
When your primary care physician finds a medical issue that goes beyond the bounds of routine care, they will likely refer you to a specialist. A specialist doctor has extensive education and training in the diagnosis and treatment of a particular part or system of the body, or a particular medical problem. Some of the most commonly known medical specialty doctors include:
Many specialists work in Chandler Regional Medical Center, particularly surgeons. Because Chandler Regional Medical Center is notable for its surgery department, the hospital offers advanced techniques, such as da Vinci robotic surgical system. Chandler Regional Medical Center has the following specialist doctors on staff:
- orthopedic surgeons
- plastic surgeons
- cardiac surgeons
- cardiothoracic surgeons
- bariatric surgeons
The CDC estimates that 20% of adults deal with acute or chronic pain. Chandler residents dealing with pain can turn to Chandler Pain Management Clinic, which has earned a high rating among patients. The clinic is staffed by specialists such as a pain medicine doctor, and anesthesiologist and a doctor of rehabilitation, and a chiropractor.
The Most Popular Doctors in Chandler, Arizona
Arizona is home to many excellent medical centers and clinics, with conventional, high-tech, and even alternative medical approaches. One popular doctor source in Chandler is Gilbert Center for Family Medicine, which has been in operation for over a decade. The Gilbert Center for Family Medicine’s medical staff has a combined experience of more than 100 years. Gilbert Center for Family Medicine operates on the principle of patient-centered care, and performs medical advocacy and counseling as well as primary care. The medical center has three popular doctors on staff, as well as two physician assistants and four nurse practitioners. Along with routine primary care, Gilbert Center for Family Medicine offers allergy testing, Remote Patient Monitoring, General Ultrasounds, Echocardiograms, retinal scanning, and on-site lab work. Same-day, evening, and weekend appointments are available, which is helpful for those with busy work schedules.
Live Well Family Medicine is another popular doctor group in Chandler, with three family physicians in their practice. They offer same-day appointments so that patients can quickly be seen for illnesses and injuries without having to resort to urgent care clinics. Along with routine medical care and health management, Live Well Family Medicine offers procedures like skin biopsies, cyst removals, pap smears, and joint injections. Unlike many clinics, they are not staffed by physicians’ assistants or nurse practitioners, so patients see a board-certified doctor at every visit. All their staff speaks both English and Spanish.
Live Well Family Medicine is one of several medical practices that partners with Sonora Quest Laboratories. Sonora Quest Laboratories has two locations in Chandler, and allows patients to request their own lab work, if they choose, without a doctor’s order or insurance. Sonora Quest Laboratories can also send a professional to your door for specimen collection, and allows patients to quickly and securely look up their test results online.
Telemedicine in Chandler, Arizona
When you’re feeling sick, the last thing you want to do is take more time off work or away from resting in bed to travel to a doctor’s office or wait around to be seen by a physician or nurse practitioner. Telemedicine solves this problem by quickly and conveniently bringing medical professionals to you through video conferencing. Telemedicine is ideal for treating straightforward and routine medical issues, such as sinus infections and the flu. In fact, studies suggest that as many as 70% of medical concerns can be resolved through telemedicine consultations. Other issues that can be addressed through telemedicine include:
- Refills of prescriptions
- Nutritional consultations
- Medical evaluations
- Mental health services
The following telemedicine providers are available to patients living in the state of Arizona:
- Bayless Integrated Healthcare
- One Medical
- TMC CareNow
- Tela NP Online
- Independent mental health counselors
Bayless Integrated Healthcare is a comprehensive healthcare practice of integrated family medicine and behavioral health which serves the Greater Phoenix area, including Chandler. Along with mental health, family medicine, and addition treatment, Bayless Integrated Healthcare also provides telemedicine. Its Virtual Care program works on mobile apps and desktop, and has earned CHQI Accreditation for Telemedicine. Providers contract with Bayless, and so payment and insurance varies by provider.
Tela NP Online, another popular option, is different from most telemedicine portals. Instead of a network of doctors and nurse practitioners, Tela NP Online is owned and operated by a single nurse practitioner, who offers telemedicine services 7 days per week. Melissa Madalone, DNP, ANP-BC, PMHNP, has over 10 years’ experience in medicine, and is highly rated by patients. Tela NP is not covered by insurance, but the rate for a secure and personal virtual office visit is lower than many copays, costing a flat fee of $59.